Organizers of the North American International Auto Show today announced an all-new “Air Mobility Experience” will join the Sept. 14-25 auto show lineup, bringing science fiction to reality over the skies of Detroit and Windsor.
The “Show Above the Show” will feature flight demonstrations and displays by six international air mobility innovators, including one homegrown Detroit startup, that are expanding the future of personal mobility beyond boundaries ever imagined.
Originating from five countries, these pioneers in new air mobility technology will be taking to the land and skies with everything from electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft to amphibious sport planes to hoverbikes, hoverboards and jet suits.
- AIR from Tel Aviv, Israel, will display its consumer-targeted AIR ONE two-seater eVTOL aircraft that is designed to “drive the sky.” AIR will also invite auto show visitors to “fly” in the cockpit of AIR ONE by way of an exhilarating virtual reality simulator.
- Airspace Experience Technologies (ASX) based at Detroit City Airport, will display its Sigma-6 eVTOL aircraft that fuses automotive innovation and aviation technology to offer urban commuters a clean, fast, and affordable transportation alternative, while providing commercial users via interchangeable and standardized pods the ability to transport cargo, military payloads, and first responders.
- AERWINS Technologies from Wilmington, Del. / A.L.I. Technologies from Tokyo, will take flight and make the U.S. debut of its XTURISMO Hoverbike. The hybrid electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) vehicle, inspired by the speeder bikes in “Star Wars” and designed as a “luxury air cruiser,” promotes next-generation mobility with varied applications, including search and rescue.
- Gravity Industries from Salisbury, England, will soar into human flight with its patented Jet Suit that produces 1,000 horsepower. Gravity’s business spans search and rescue, paramedic, entertainment and defense applications, as well as a flight training school.
- ICON Aircraft from Vacaville, Calif., will take off in its “garageable” ICON A5 two-seat, amphibious light-sport aircraft with retractable wings that was featured on “Jay Leno’s Garage.”
- Omni Hoverboards from Montreal, Canada, will demonstrate its eVTOL Hoverboard showing auto show audiences why it earned a spot as a finalist on Italy’s top talent show, has been invited to multiple Cup Finals around the world and achieved a Guinness World Record for introducing and inventing the first flying hoverboard.
The Air Mobility Experience will take place over the Detroit River, in Hart Plaza, and in Huntington Place. Flight demonstrations of the XTURISMO, Gravity Jet Suit, ICON A5, and Omni Hoverboard begin on Media Day, Wednesday, Sept. 14, and run through Sunday, Sept. 18. Air Mobility displays and experiences featuring AIR ONE, ASX’s Sigma-6, and the ICON A5 will be featured inside Huntington Place for the run of the show (Sept. 14 – 25).
A full schedule of flight demonstrations and display dates and times will be released soon.
“This exciting addition to the show is a natural extension of the evolving transportation ecosystem, especially as people continue to look for creative ways to expand personal mobility,” says Joe Lunghamer, chairman of the 2022 Detroit Auto Show. “We’ll give auto show audiences a taste of the future today with a look at the whole spectrum of mobility — from the thrill of human propulsion to amphibious vehicles you can keep in your backyard to EVs leading the industry’s transformation.”
Companies participating in the Detroit Auto Show’s inaugural Air Mobility Experience offered the following commentary:
- “We are thrilled to showcase AIR ONE, the sportscar of the sky, at an event as truly iconic as this. The Detroit Auto Show both inspires and embraces innovation and ingenuity, and we are excited to give automotive enthusiasts a look at a not-so-distant future when flying will be as easy as driving.” — Rani Plaut, co-founder and CEO, AIR
- “Airspace Experience Technologies Inc. (ASX) will reveal a proof-of-concept multi-modal electric VTOL aircraft and ground robot to plug and play payloads for defense, emergency response, cargo, and passenger mobility. The vehicle is currently in flight testing and controls validation, and we look forward to sharing our vision for an all new platform in mobility. Designed and built in Detroit.” — Jon Rimanelli, founder and CEO, ASX
- “Drawing inspiration from the ‘Star Wars’ saga, the XTURISMO Limited Edition features a sleek and stylish exterior, outfitted with a hybrid propulsion system consisting of an internal combustion engine and four electric motors. It is presented as a new icon of next-generation air mobility for those who seek new frontiers of travel.” — Shuhei Komatsu, founder and inventor, XTURISMO
- “Gravity Industries is delighted to be a part of the iconic NAIAS in 2022, bringing our cutting-edge Jet Suit to the Detroit Show. Demonstrating relentless innovation in the mobility space, we are currently expanding our presence in North America with two new Flight Training Centers in the making.” — Richard Browning, founder and chief test pilot, Gravity Industries
- “The future of flying is here, and personal adventure flying is now available to those who want it. We couldn’t be more excited to present the ICON A5 at this incredible show and to continue to spark people’s imagination regarding the future of flight and air mobility.” — Jerry Meyer, CEO, ICON Aircraft
- “Bringing our vehicle to the Detroit Auto Show is a tremendous opportunity for us at Omni Hoverboards. There are so many different companies innovating right now, it’s a vehicle renaissance, and we’re honored to be a part of it.” — Philippe Maalouf, co-founder and vice president, Omni Hoverboards
To view each aircraft, visit here.
Key Dates for the 2022 Detroit Auto Show are:
- Media Day, Wednesday, Sept. 14
- AutoMobili-D and Industry Tech Days, Wednesday, Sept. 14 and Thursday, Sept. 15
- Charity Preview, Friday, Sept. 16
- Public Show, Saturday, Sept. 17 through Sunday, Sept. 25