Detroit’s General Motors Co. brand Chevrolet has introduced its all-new 2021 Tahoe and Suburban SUVs, which are slated to go on sale in mid-2020.
Each vehicle was redesigned to offer the most interior space of any SUV, and the best driving dynamics in the full-size segment, according to the automaker.
Built at GM’s Arlington, Texas assembly plant, the new Tahoe and Suburban started with a new architecture featuring an independent rear suspension and longer wheelbase. The new architecture targeted improvements central to the needs of full-size SUV customers, including passenger accommodations, cargo capacity, driving dynamics, and exterior proportions, says Chevrolet.
“There are no vehicles like Tahoe and Suburban – which have starred in Hollywood movies, carried military heroes and world leaders, and helped create countless family memories,” says Barry Engle, executive vice president and president of GM North America. “We’ve taken what people love about these pioneering SUVs and made them even better – adding more room for people and cargo, more advanced technology, and an unrivaled driving experience.”
Engle says this was achieved through a complete transformation of Chevrolet’s full-size SUVs, combining the strongest aspects of its new full-size truck architecture with entirely new systems tailored to the needs of today’s SUV drivers and passengers.
These changes resulted in:
- An increase in interior space (66 percent more cargo room behind the third row for Tahoe, and 19 percent more maximum cargo space behind the first row for Suburban)
- Dramatically improved driving dynamics (An independent rear suspension paired with available magnetic ride control and air-ride adaptive suspension)
- An entirely new SUV-specific interior offering up to five display screens
- Thirty safety and driver convenience features, highlighted by standard automatic emergency braking and new features, including HD surround vision, and rear pedestrian alert
- All-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine
- Updated V-8 engines with dynamic fuel management, including the available 6.2-liter V-8
- Standard 10-speed automatic transmission for all engines with push-button electronic shift
- Nine camera views and new trailering features designed to help improve the driver’s experience and confidence, including trailer profiles, trailer tire pressure/temperature monitoring and side blind zone alert for trailering
“With an increasing number of SUVs on the market, we knew the all-new Tahoe and Suburban needed to reach higher than ever,” says Tim Herrick, vice president of global product programs for Chevrolet. “We transformed Tahoe and Suburban to offer all-new technologies and features and deliver a better driving experience, while staying true to the versatility and capability that have earned people’s trust for generations.”