SOUTHFIELD, Mich., January 19, 2009 — Verizon Wireless announced today it invested nearly $115.7 million in 2008 to enhance its digital network in Michigan. The enhancements included building new—and upgrading existing—cell sites, increasing new coverage area and capacity within existing coverage area, and completing its high-speed wireless broadband network expansion across its Michigan coverage area.
“Customers can expect Verizon Wireless to continue investing in our Michigan network in 2009,” said Greg Haller, president–Michigan/Indiana/Kentucky Region, Verizon Wireless. “We’re very focused on integrating the Verizon Wireless and Alltel networks, building out new coverage areas and increasing capacity where we already have service, so that our 83 million customers across the state and nation can rely on their wireless devices to keep in touch and stay connected.”
Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested nearly $1.2 billion on improvements to its network in Michigan, including the following upgrades made in 2008:
• Fifty-eight new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make voice calls; send and receive email and text, picture and video messages; access the Internet; view high-quality videos; and download music, games and ringtones, while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
• Equipment on 188 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
• Permanent backup generators were installed at 98 existing Michigan cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.
• The company expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network to 21 cell sites across Michigan, including Benton Harbor. With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
• Mobile Broadband, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, email and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
• V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 83.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.