For the past 27 years, Deloitte has polled consumers on their feelings about the economy, their spending plans and expectations for the holiday shopping season. Their survey yields a broad range of data that provides a useful window into anticipated consumer behavior and how retailers might fare during the most important shopping period of the year.
This year’s survey found Michigan consumers feeling optimistic about the economy and their finances yet cautious due to high prices and the pending fiscal cliff.
Some highlights of the survey can be found below:
1. “Omnichannel” shoppers – consumers who shop online, via their smartphones and in stores – are a priority for retailers this holiday season. Michigan consumers who will shop across channels plan to spend about $1350, nearly 73 percent more than those who plan to shop only in stores.
2. The weak economy, tax and regulatory challenges impact mid-market executives’ view of U.S. entrepreneurialism. Specifically, only 59 percent of executives surveyed ranked the United States as the most accommodating country for entrepreneurs — a 32 percent drop from how those same executives said they felt in past years.
3. A new survey by Deloitte and The Manufacturing Institute found the public feels that American leadership is off-course in improving manufacturing competitiveness. Only 16 percent of Americans feel the manufacturing sector is likely to improve in the next 12 months. In contrast, 23 percent feel it will weaken.
A vast majority (84 percent) “strongly agree” or “agree” that the United States needs a more strategic approach to developing its manufacturing base.
4. Mobile technology might be the next healthcare industry game changer. The healthcare industry is moving towards a delivery model that is patient-centered and value-based. A new report by the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions asserts that mobile technologies can facilitate the shift in the relationship between clinicians, payers, life sciences companies and patients that will be required to implement this new model.
5. Tech Trends 2013: Rise of the Postdigital Enterprise. Deloitte’s annual Technology Trends report examines the ever-evolving landscape of technology put to business use. This year’s report specifically examines the convergence of five forces — analytics, mobile, social, cloud and cyber. Click here to read more.