BELLAIRE — Shanty Creek is unveiling several big changes for the coming ski season, all are expected to improve operations and guest satisfaction while adding value to each of its three villages across the 4,500-acre resort property.
“We will solve several key issues by taking advantage of recently acquired space at the ski-in/ski-out Lodge at Cedar River, located on the north face of Schuss Mountain,” says Chris Hale, vice president for Shanty Creek. “We will offer guests better facilities, better service, and a better overall experience that will extend to each of our three villages at Shanty Creek.”
From ski rentals and ski school to dining, the alpine tubing park, fat-tire biking, and more, the changes at Shanty Creek this season will be big, Hale says.
- Ski Rentals. The Rental Shop will now be located on the lower level of the Lodge at Cedar River. This will provide guests with a more streamlined experience, ample day lockers and restrooms, and ski-in/ski-out access to the Purple and Red Lifts and all of Schuss Mountain.
- Ski School. Ski school registration and lessons will be located at Cedar River. The registration area will be adjacent to ski rentals on the lower level of the Lodge.
- New Beginner Area. A new beginner ski area will be located the Cedar River Village where the Alpine Tubing Park had been in previous years. A new 400-foot magic carpet will allow beginners to either stay in the beginner area or access the rest of Schuss’ slopes when they’re ready.
- New Multi-Purpose Trail. A new multi-purpose ski trail will be designed and maintained specifically for non-cross country skiing activities like snow shoeing, dog walking, and fat-tire biking. The trail head will be located near the Lodge at Cedar River.
- Tubing. The Alpine Tubing Park will move to the top of Summit Mountain behind The Lakeview Hotel at the resort’s Summit Village. Improving the experience, instead of handle tows as in years past, guests will now enjoy magic carpet access back to the top.
- Day Lodge. The Snow Sports building at the base of the Yellow Chair Lift, where rentals and ski school had been previously, is being transformed into a new day lodge complete with seasonal lockers, day lockers, plus tables and vending machines for guests who choose to bring their own meals and snacks.
- Dining at Cedar River. The River Bistro, a new 12,000 sq ft restaurant and bar in The Lodge at Cedar River features full-service dining in a casual atmosphere. Its fireplace, outdoor patio, and 48-foot bar offer guests ample space to relax. Featuring regional and international beers, fresh-fruit cocktails, and pub games like pool, darts, foosball and more.
- Dining at Schuss Village. With the changes being made to create a new Day Lodge for guests who bring their own snacks and meals, Ivan’s Mountainside Grill service will improve for its patrons.
- Day Care. Now located inside the Lodge at Cedar River.
- Parking and Egress. Parking will be expanded on Cedar River’s upper parking lot, and a new bridge to allow guests parking on the northwest side to access a new, closer lodge entrance into the lobby level.
- Signage. Guests can expect increased signage throughout the resort’s 4,500 acres to help with way finding for these changes and more.
- Immortalized. One of the runs on the Red Lift, formerly known as “Legend,” is being renamed “Brent’s Paradise” after Brent Nelson, the great vice president who passed away in 2012. During his tenure, Brent helped build The Legend Golf Course, open up the then-newly-developed Red Lift on Schuss Mountain, and much more.
“While change can be challenging, the quantity and quality of these changes will impact the entire winter experience at Shanty Creek” says Steve Kershner, director of Ski and Snow Sports. “Both inside and out, Shanty Creek will provide more of what our guests have been asking for, thereby increasing guest satisfaction, and that is always our number one goal.”
All of these changes are expected to be complete by opening day of the 2014/15 ski season.