DETROIT, June 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — As in-vehicle infotainment systems become more and more complex, OnStar maintains a powerful suite of services available through the simple push of a button, with no training required.
Using the blue OnStar button, the white Hands-Free Calling button and the red Emergency button, all located on the vehicle’s rearview mirror, OnStar customers are a touch away from a range of life-saving and convenience services. With a connection not dependent on a driver’s cell phone, OnStar’s 6 million plus customers are taking advantage of this effortless service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Pressing the blue OnStar button gives drivers immediate access to:
- OnStar Turn-by-Turn Navigation: Live advisors can pinpoint a desired location and download directions to your vehicle. More than 2 million routes delivered every month
- Roadside Assistance: Complimentary roadside assistance when drivers face non-emergency vehicle issues. Nearly 30,000 requests every month
- On-Demand Vehicle Diagnostics: Check the status of a vehicle’s key operating systems on the go. More than 55,900 On-Demand Diagnostic requests are received every month.
Pressing the white Hands-Free Calling button gives drivers immediate access to:
- OnStar Hands-Free Calling: Make and answer calls through an embedded OnStar phone. More than 176 million minutes purchased every month
- Bluetooth Connection: The ability to pair a Bluetooth-enabled phone with OnStar’s Hands-Free Calling system
- eNav: Access to pre-saved driving directions downloaded from MapQuest or Google Maps
- Local Weather: Get weather reports presented based on a 5-mile radius of the vehicle’s current location
- Local Traffic: Get local traffic reports within a five, 10 or 15-mile radius of the vehicle.
Pressing the red Emergency button gives drivers immediate access to:
- 24/7 Emergency Connection: An EMD certified Emergency Advisor is available to assist with emergencies inside and outside of the vehicle at all times. OnStar Emergency Services are used more than 10,000 times every month
- Good Samaritan Calls: An OnStar customer can use the emergency connection to report other emergencies outside the vehicle, such as road hazards, crashes or wildfires. OnStar gets more than 6,400 Good Samaritan calls every month
- Crisis Assist: In the event of a natural disaster, OnStar customers (regardless of subscription package) have access to evacuation routes, no-charge Hands-Free Calling, shelter and hospital locations and up-to-date weather information. If necessary, emergency responders can also be directed to a driver’s exact location.
The simplicity of OnStar’s system has helped:
- A 10-year old boy get his mom the medical attention she desperately needed: http://onstarconnections.com/2011/06/mia-childs/
- Rescue a crashed motorcyclist in an area where cell phones wouldn’t work: http://onstarconnections.com/2011/05/marsha-terrys-story/
- A college student find the nearest gas station and avoid getting stranded on the way to see his girlfriend: http://onstarconnections.com/2011/05/running-on-empty/
OnStar continues to expand its innovation in the telematics space by introducing a fully functional mobile application, paving the way for future smart grid technologies and bringing its services to 90 million vehicles already on the road via the upcoming retail product OnStar FMV.
OnStar, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Motors, is the leading provider of connected safety and security solutions, value-added mobility services and advanced information technology. Currently available on more than 40 MY 2011 GM models, OnStar soon will be available for installation on most other vehicles already on the road through local electronics retailers, including Best Buy. The OnStar Mobile App is a recipient of the 2011 Edison Award for Best New Product in the Remote Driving Aids segment and OnStar Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is a recipient of the 2010 Edison Award for Best New Product in the Technology segment. OnStar safely connects its more than six million subscribers, in the U.S., Canada and China, in ways never thought possible. More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.
SOURCE General Motors