DETROIT — The Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon celebrates its 37th year with an enhanced schedule. This year, the updated schedule features events throughout the entire weekend.
The Health and Fitness Expo starts Friday and continues Saturday, the American Home Fitness 5K and Meijer Kids Fun Run will bring nearly 3,000 runners and walkers to Detroit on Saturday morning, and more than 27,300 will participate in the six events on Sunday, including half- and full marathons, the disabilities division marathon, a marathon relay and an after party. The Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon events offer participants even more opportunities to experience the scenic views of Detroit and Windsor.
The 2014 schedule features:
- Health and Fitness Expo – The Expo will host more than 90 exhibitors at Cobo Center and will provide the opportunity to see the latest in running gear and technology, pick up race packets and 2014 Marathon gear, and hear from informative speakers on health and fitness topics.
Friday, 2-8 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- American Home Fitness 5K – This event Saturday morning takes runners along the Detroit RiverWalk, through the William G. Milliken State Park & Harbor and the Rivertown Warehouse District before finishing near Rivard Plaza.
Saturday, 9 a.m.
- Meijer Kids Fun Run – Kids ages four through 12 can participate in this half- or one-mile fun run/walk near the Detroit RiverWalk.
Saturday, 10:30 a.m.
- Disabilities Division – In this event, handcycle and pushrim participants navigate the half- or full marathon course.
Sunday, 6:58 a.m.
- Marathon – The full marathon course offers international appeal, traversing both downtown Detroit and Windsor, crossing the border at both the Ambassador Bridge and Detroit-Windsor Tunnel. Runners trek through historic neighborhoods, around beautiful Belle Isle and along the spectacular RiverWalk, starting and finishing on W. Fort St. at Second Ave.
Sunday, 7 a.m.
- Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers International Half Marathon – The international half marathon runs the first half of the full marathon course, circling back to finish at the W. Fort St. and Second Ave. line.
Sunday, 7 a.m.
- Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers U.S. Half Marathon – The U.S.-only course takes place on the back half of the Marathon, starting at E. Congress between Brush St. and Randolph St. and finishing at the same location as the full and international half marathon runners.
Sunday, 10:30 a.m.
- Marathon Relay – Teams of three to five runners will cover the entire 26.2 mile distance. Each runner will run designated legs of three to seven miles throughout the course.
Sunday, 7 a.m.
- Conquered Afterparty – Participants and friends and family are invited to celebrate the event with live entertainment, official gear and great food at the Conquered Afterparty at Lafayette and Third St.
Sunday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
Other highlights of the weekend include “Cruise the Course” guided bus tours to get a pre-race look at 20 of the 26.2-mile course on Saturday, Oct. 18, and entertainment and spirit stations spread throughout the courses on Sunday to keep runners energized and excited.