SOUTHFIELD — Once a year, The Engineering Society of Detroit honors Michigan’s pillars of innovation in science and engineering. This year, 18 seasoned and novice individuals will be recognized in various categories during the ESD Annual Dinner event at The Fillmore in Detroit.
Out of dozens of nominations and following strict judging criteria, the following individuals were selected for their contributions to their fields, their career milestones, and school accomplishments and future goals. They are:
• Horace H. Rackham Humanitarian Award
Steven E. Kurmas, PE, FESD, president and COO, Detroit Edison
• Lifetime Achievement Award
Richard E. Marburger, PhD, FESD, president emeritus/senior engineering advisor, Lawrence Technological University
• ESD College of Fellows Inductees
– Carol J. Miller, PhD, PE, professor and chair of Civil Engineering, Wayne State University
– Lewis N. Walker, PhD, PE, president and CEO, Lawrence Technological University
– Thomas M. Doran, PE, retired, principal, vice president, Hubbell, Roth, & Clark, Inc.
• Distinguished Service Award
– Robert P. Washer, FESD, president, MICCO Construction LLC
– Robert J. Mauck, AIA, PE, FESD, vice president, Advanced Technologies, Ghafari Associates LLC
– Kirk T. Steudle, PE, director, Michigan Department of Transportation
• Outstanding Committee, Council or Leadership Awards
– Filza H. Walters, director, Architectural Engineering, Lawrence Technological University
– Corian W. Johnston, PE, president, Johnston Design Inc.
– Cheryl Aubuchon, Off-Campus Centers, director of Continuing Education, Eastern Michigan University
• The Harold Slaight Ellington ESD Leadership Award
Jerome C. Neyer, PE, FESD, retired, NTH Consultants, Ltd.
• David A. Skiven Leadership Award
Bill H. Liebold II, president, The Liebold Group LLC
• Technology Century Magazine Image Award
Michael W.R. Davis, author, journalist, and historian
• Outstanding Young Engineer of the Year
Mario Garza, Jr., director of Preconstruction, Barton Malow Company
• Outstanding Engineering Student of the Year
Luke John Popiel, Wayne State University
• Outstanding High School Student of the Year
Mary Catherine Mitchell, Father Gabriel Richard High School, Ann Arbor
• Eleanor Josaitis Engineering Hope Scholarship
Dennis Maxwell, Focus: HOPE Engineering Program, Lawrence Technological University
Winners will receive their awards at The ESD Annual Awards Dinner on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at The Fillmore.
Cost to attend the event is $125 ESD member; $150 non-member. The event is open to the public and to the media.