DETROIT — For the past 89 years the College for Creative Studies has transformed its campus into the ultimate gallery, showcasing more than 3,500 pieces of student artwork during the school’s Annual Student Exhibition.
For two weeks, beginning May 16 and ending on May 30, the public is invited to purchase many of these original and highly unique pieces with all proceeds from art sales going directly to the students to help jump-start their art and design careers. Opening night on May 16 will feature a number of receptions to kick-off the festivities and help raise funds to support student scholarships and free art programs for Detroit youth.
“Our institution transforms students from unfinished canvases into masterpieces, and this event allows us to showcase student talent across all of the college’s disciplines,” says CCS President Richard L. Rogers. “The remarkable level of interest that the Exhibition generates every year makes it clear that our community values the role that art and design play in our region’s economic and social vitality. We’re grateful to everyone who visits the show.”
Opening Night includes:
- The Collectors’ Preview and Private Reception, beginning at 5:30 p.m., provides an exclusive opportunity to enjoy a VIP reception and browse and buy exceptional artwork before the doors open to the general public May 17 ($350 per ticket),
- The Art Educators’ Reception, an invitation-only event, for local and national teachers,
- The Alumni Reception, a private event for CCS alumni which is included for all alumni ticket purchasers (2 tickets for $60),
- The General Exhibition and Opening Sale, beginning at 7 p.m., for all general admission ticketholders ($50 per ticket), and
- Included in all ticket prices are food from local restaurants, wine and beer and entertainment from local musicians, event concludes at 10 p.m.
The Student Exhibition is free and open to the public from May 17 until May 30. In addition to featuring CCS student work, the event will also feature work from students at Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies, CCS’ public charter middle and high school. Hours are from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday through Wednesday; and 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday. The Student Exhibition is held at The A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education located at 460 West Baltimore in Detroit’s New Center.
To purchase tickets and get parking information for the Student Exhibition Opening Night, visit collegeforcreativestudies.edu/seo or call 313-664-7464.