DETROIT, June 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — The suggested retail price of the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic begins at $14,495 including destination but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. Sonic comes with the most standard safety equipment in the sub-compact class, including 10 air bags. Air conditioning, power door locks, remote keyless entry and 15″ alloy wheels also are standard.
The Sonic, the only sub-compact built in the United States, is expected to deliver 40 mpg highway with class-leading acceleration when paired with the 1.4L Turbo and six-speed manual transmission.
The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback. Each delivers outstanding rear-seat roominess and cargo space.
“Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “Today‘s customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire.”
The 2012 Sonic will be for retail sale this fall in three models with two body styles:
Sonic LS starting at $14,495 sedan, $15,395 hatchback, including:
- Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission
- Class-exclusive standard 15-inch alloy wheels
- The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system and power rear-door child safety locks
- Standard OnStar, with a six-month subscription including Turn-by-Turn navigation
- Standard convenience features, including air conditioning, power door locks with remote keyless entry and tilt/telescoping steering wheel
Sonic LT starting at $15,695 sedan, $16,495 hatchback, including:
- Six-speaker premium sound system with CD player, XM Radio with three-month trial subscription
- Power windows with driver’s express up/down
- Power, heated side mirrors
- Connectivity package with a USB port, Bluetooth for select phones and music, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
- Heated front seats
- Cruise control
- Fog lamps
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
Major available upgrades on Sonic include:
- Six-speed automatic transmission (with 1.8L engine) – $1,070
- 1.4L Turbo with six-speed manual transmission (available on LT and LTZ) – $700
“Sonic is truly a safer small car with three more airbags than the nearest competitor,” said Scheidt. “It also offers the safety, security and convenience of OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation on all models.”
Production of the Sonic begins this fall at the General Motors Orion Assembly Center in Michigan, which received a $545-million investment in upgrades and retooling, and will help restore approximately 1,000 jobs in the metropolitan Detroit area.
Founded in Detroit in 1911, Chevrolet celebrates its centennial as a global automotive brand with annual sales of about 4.25 million vehicles in more than 120 countries. Chevrolet provides consumers with fuel-efficient, safe and reliable vehicles that deliver high quality, expressive design, spirited performance and value. The Chevrolet portfolio includes iconic performance cars such as Corvette and Camaro; dependable, long-lasting pickups and SUVs such as Silverado and Suburban; and award-winning passenger cars and crossovers such as Cruze, Malibu, Equinox and Traverse. Chevrolet also offers “gas-friendly to gas-free” solutions including Volt. Cruze Eco offers EPA-est. 42 mpg highway while Volt offers 35 miles of electric, gasoline-free driving and an additional 344 miles of gas-powered extended range. Most new Chevrolet models offer OnStar safety, security and convenience technologies including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown. More information regarding Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
SOURCE General Motors