DETROIT — Detroit Aircraft Corp. (DAC) is hosting a special aerospace panel discussion and design event called, “Detroit, Where Is My Flying Car?,” on September 23, 2011 at the Bankle Building on Woodward Avenue in Detroit, four blocks north of the Fox Theatre (2944 Woodward). The discussions and displays will explore opportunities to repurpose Detroit’s industrial automotive base toward Next Generation innovations in aerospace technology as envisioned by Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). â€¨â€¨
The FAA has mandated that all commercial, cargo, and general aviation aircraft be GPS-enabled by January, 1, 2020, which creates an opportunity to design and build new advanced aircraft for the highway in the sky. The Kresge Foundation and Detroit Creative Corridor Center supported program â€¨will start with a private VIP reception at 5:30 p.m., public reception at 6:30pm, with a panel discussion beginning at 7:15 p.m. (one hour). A Fashion Design Runway Show will follow from 8:30pm-10:00pm. Details are as follows:â€¨
Event Programming (5:30-7:15 p.m.):â€¨
– Exhibition of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle models, aerospace artwork, and 3D student transportation designs.
â€¨- Showcase of artwork by Ford GT and Detroit Aircraft Corp. Chief Designer Camilo Pardo.
– Aerospace Design Contest launch includes students and faculty from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, and the College For Creative Studies in Detroit.
Panel Discussion: Detroit, Where is My Flying Car? (7:15 -8:15 p.m.):
Moderator: Bill Proctor: News reporter (WXYZ- Channel 7)â€¨â€¨
â€¨- Dr. Bruce Holmes: CEO, NextGen Aero Sciences, Williamsburg, Virginia; former NASA Chief Strategist and White House Senior Executive.
– Dr. Daniel Inman: Chair, University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering Program.
– Imre Molnar: Dean, College for Creative Studies.
– Kieith Nagara: Director of Transportation Design, Lawrence Technological University.
Fashion Design Runway Show Afterglow: (8:30pm-10:00pm)â€¨
-Guests are encouraged to stay for breakout discussion afterglow during fashion programming.
â€¨-Runway shows by Detroit designers Emily Thornhill, Terrance Sullivan, Camilo Pardo, and Kelly Lynne.