$28M to Fund Redevelopment of Historic Strathmore Apartments

1814

DETROIT —  During a ceremony today outside the historic 8-story Strathmore Hotel, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, Midtown Detroit Inc., and their partners announced funding has been finalized for the $28 million project and that reconstruction on the 129 apartments and 2,000 square-feet of ground-floor commercial space will begin in the next 30 days — once the environmental remediation, which is underway, is complete. The project is expected to be completed in 18 months.

The redevelopment of the Strathmore is being led by Midtown Detroit Inc. and development partner, McCormack Baron Salazar based in St. Louis. This project was made possible by the public-private partnership comprised of numerous funding organizations: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; Michigan State Housing Development Authority; Michigan Economic Development Corporation; City of Detroit; U.S. Bank; Invest Detroit; Detroit Development Fund; Enterprise Community Partners; Ford Foundation; The Kresge Foundation; Hudson-Webber Foundation, and Midtown Detroit Inc.

“The redevelopment of a building as significant as the Strathmore is a great boost for Detroit no matter how you look at it,” Mayor Duggan said. “Our development team chose to get behind this project because it fits perfectly into our commitment to provide Detroiters the opportunity to live in any neighborhood in the city they want. With its significant number of affordable housing units, the Strathmore helps to make even a hot property like Midtown accessible to an average Detroit resident.”

Midtown Detroit Inc. strives for a mix of market-rate and affordable housing in its developments, said Sue Mosey, president of Midtown Detroit Inc. In the redeveloped Strathmore, 40 percent of the residential units will be offered for affordable housing rates while the other 60 percent will be market-rate. 

“The Strathmore is an exciting and significant housing development for Midtown, and we are incredibly grateful for our partners who have worked tirelessly to get this project over the finish line,” Mosey said.

Detroit-based Hamilton Anderson Associates has been hired as the project architect. The apartments they are designing will include one and two bedroom units. Individuals interested in becoming a tenant of the future Strathmore Apartments may call 313-420-6000 for preleasing information.

Originally built in 1924, the historic Strathmore Hotel, 70 West Alexandrine, in Midtown Detroit and the Willis-Selden Historic District, representing one of the largest concentrations of architecturally significant, late 19th and early 20th century buildings of mixed uses existing in Detroit. The structure operated as an apartment hotel until 1964 and was then renovated into 187 apartment units and was occupied as such until 2004.

Other residential development projects recently completed or underway in Midtown include:

  • Coronado : a recently renovated building on Second Avenue which includes 24 units of affordable housing.
  • Cass Plaza: a historic renovation project is now partially occupied with more units scheduled to come on line later this year offering 47 units of affordable housing.
  • Casamira: located on Delaware, this property is scheduled to be under renovation this year with 11 units of affordable housing.
  • The Auburn – a completed development on Cass includes 12 units of affordable housing.

 

Facebook Comments