The W.K. Kellogg Foundation, based in Battle Creek, was established in 1930 by breakfast cereal entrepreneur W.K. Kellogg. It awards grants in the U.S., Mexico, and Haiti and has additional Michigan offices in Detroit and Grand Rapids. The foundation is guided by the belief that all children should have an equal opportunity to thrive and works with communities to create conditions in which students can realize their full potential in school, work, and life. It also helps families obtain stable, quality jobs. The foundation’s income comes primarily from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation Trust, set up by W.K. Kellogg. In addition to its portfolio, the trust continues to own substantial equity in the Kellogg Co.; while the foundation and Kellogg Co. have a long-standing relationship, the foundation is governed by its own board of trustees.