Dustin Johnson, the world’s number-one-ranked golfer, as well as Rickey Fowler and Bubba Watson, have committed to playing in the inaugural Rocket Mortgage Classic at the Detroit Golf Club June 25-30.
Johnson is a 20-time winner on the PGA Tour. Fowler is 10th ranked in the world, a five-time tour winner, and a Rocket Mortgage spokesman. Watson is a two-time Masters champion, a 12-time PGA Tour winner, and currently the 17th ranked player in the world.
“I can’t wait to get to Detroit for the Rocket Mortgage Classic,” says Fowler. “The city is known for being one of the country’s best sports towns with some of the most passionate fans around. The fans can expect to see some really good golf. I know there will be a huge turnout, which will be an incredible opportunity to showcase the great revitalization that is taking place in Detroit to thousands of fans.”
Other top pros who have announced their intent to play in Detroit’s first-ever PGA Tour event include:
- Jimmy Walker, the 2016 PGA Championship winner, who owns six tournament victories on the PGA Tour.
- Jason Dufner, the 2013 PGA Championship winner and a five-time winner on the PGA Tour.
- Kevin Kisner, the world’s 25th-ranked player, who is a three-time PGA Tou winner.
- Cameron Champ, a PGA Tour rookie who already has had his first professional victory.
- Aaron Wise, the reigning PGA Tour rookie of the year.
- Billy Horschel, the 2014 FedExCup shampion and a five-time tour winner.
- Lucas Glover, the 2009 U.S. Open champion.
- Charles Howell III, currently ninth in the FedExCup standings.
- Si Woo Kim, a two-time PGA Tour winner, including the 2017 Players Championship.
- Corey Conners, an Ontario native who secured his first PGA Tour victory earlier this month.
Additional player announcements are expected in the coming weeks.
“Our player field is beginning to take shape, and it is another exciting sign that the Rocket Mortgage Classic is right around the corner,” says Jason Langwell, executive director of the tournament. “With some of the top-ranked players in the world, along with a host of recent major winners and FedExCup champions, the Rocket Mortgage Classic is going to be one of the summer’s most competitive events.”
A full preview of the Rocket Mortgage Classic can be found in the May/June issue of DBusiness magazine, which will be officially released on May 1.