U-M School of Art and Design to Open New Ann Arbor Gallery Space

1837

The Penny W. Stamps School of Art and Design at the University of Michigan will open a new gallery space in downtown Ann Arbor that will feature rotating exhibitions of contemporary art and design by the school’s students, faculty, and alumni. The gallery is expected to open early next year.

To be located on the first floor of the McKinley Towne Centre at 201 S. Division St., the gallery will offer around 8,000 square feet of exhibition space.

“The Stamps Gallery offers us a larger and more expansive space to support more ambitious exhibition and curatorial programs,” says Guna Nadarajan, dean of the Stamps School of Art and Design. “The space will allow us to show works that fuel our students’ education and give them hands-on opportunities in exhibition participation, promotion, curation, and design.”

The new space replaces the school’s Work Gallery, located at 306 S. State St., and Slusser Gallery, located at 2000 Bonisteel Blvd., which has been converted into a new studio space for undergraduate students at the school.

Due to the move, the exhibition program will be on hiatus in fall 2016 as the Stamps Gallery undergoes renovation.

Established as an independent unit in 1974, The Stamps School of Art and Design is among 19 schools and colleges at U-M. The school’s academic programs and projects focus on generating new creative work, integrating the cultures of art and design, and engaging with the university, region, and national and international communities.

Facebook Comments