Rock Ventures, an affiliate of Quicken Loans Inc., has teamed up with area retailers like the Somerset Collection in Troy to host Holiday DLight @nite tonight along the west side of Woodward Avenue, between Gratiot and Grand River avenues.
“This (event) fits into the greater picture of everything we are doing,” says Rachel Lachover, retail development manager at Bedrock Real Estate Services. “Our family of companies is committed to creating fun and exciting opportunities in Detroit. We want to encourage people to come to Detroit, to shop local, and just be part of the exciting activation that’s happening downtown.”
Earlier this year, Rock Ventures teamed up with the city of Detroit and others to develop “A Placemaking Vision for Downtown Detroit,” which considered how to make the city “a place you drive to instead of one you drive through.”
The block party, which runs from 6-9 p.m., will offer performances in front of the Hudson Café by local Detroit artists, including DJ Brandon Christopher, The Rapt Collective, Stereo Jane, and Stevie Soul & Omar Aragones.
Retailers providing free food and drinks include:
- Faygo pop at The Detroit Shoppe
- Happy hour cocktails at Rock Paper Scissors (4-7 p.m.)
- Hot chocolate at Spielhaus Toys, provided by Bearclaw Coffee Co.
- Hummus platters and hot wraps at D:hive, from Chickpea in the D
- Fresh-made crepes at CityLoft (Somerset Collection)
- Happy hour at Moosejaw featuring brews from Atwater Brewery (4-9 p.m.)
Event goers are encouraged to donate gently used jeans, coats, warm clothes, and new bath or hygiene products for Heart 2 Hart Detroit. Donation bins will be placed in front of The Detroit Shoppe and Moosejaw.