The historic Saint Columba Episcopal Church, along with its parish house and nearby vacant land in Detroit’s Jefferson-Chalmers neighborhood, has been put up for sale for $1.75 million.
The church closed in 2003.
The parish house at 14635 E. Jefferson is a three-story, 21,483-square-foot structure and was built in the English gothic revival style from 1913-1922. Designed by Lancelot Sukert, who was also known for designing the Scarab Club in Midtown, is made of stone and brick; the structure offers first-floor space that could be used for retail, while the second floor offers a room originally for Sunday school, a guild room, and a kitchenette. The third floor includes a gymnasium with lockers and showers and has a kitchen connected to it.
Listed by Detroit’s Friedman Urban, the parish house has undergone improvements including new storefront windows, a complete masonry restoration of the south façade, window restoration, selective demolition at the basement and retail levels, abatement of all visible asbestos, a new boiler, flat roof EPDM replacements, and slate tile repair.
St. Columba Episcopal Church, 1021 Manistique, was built from 1913-1927. Updates to the 11,182-square-foot building include a complete west elevation masonry restoration, stone repair and cleaning east elevation, chimney repair and coal chute infill, copper gutter replacement, stained glass plexiglass window protection, the remediation of all visible asbestos, a new boiler, flat roof EPDM replacements, and slate tile repairs as needed. The building includes a basement, first floor, and second-floor mezzanine.
“It’s a great opportunity to benefit from the high traffic location and build on the momentum of all the excitement and development coming to the Jefferson Chalmers neighborhood,” says James Tumey, vice president of Friedman Urban.
The adjacent vacant land covers 16,117 square feet and is located at 1089, 1095, 1099, 1105, and 1111 Manistique.