Detroit-based General Motors Co.’s Cadillac division today unveiled the first-ever XT4, an all-new compact luxury SUV. It will be available in the fall, with presale starting next week.
In addition to a new compact SUV architecture, Cadillac is debuting its new global “Y” trim strategy on the XT4. The automaker also will roll out a trim strategy beginning with the XT4 and the 2019 CT6 top-of-range sedan.
All models are driven by an all-new Cadillac 2.0L turbo engine that features new efficiency-enhancing technologies including active fuel management (cylinder deactivation), coupled with a nine-speed automatic transmission with next-generation electronic precision shift.
The XT4 will be priced starting at $35,790, including the destination charge, and excluding tax, title, license, dealer fees, and optional equipment. Starting next week, customers will be able to preorder their XT4s from participating U.S. Cadillac dealers nationwide.
“The first-ever 2019 Cadillac XT4 expands our successful SUV lineup to a segment where Cadillac has never been before,” says Johan de Nysschen, president of Cadillac. “And it sets off a dramatic expansion and elevation of the product range, that will see a new Cadillac virtually once every six months through 2021.”
Additional XT4 highlights include:
- Cadillac user experience with all-new rotary controller.
- Smart chassis features including available twin-clutch, decoupling all-wheel drive.
- Available active sport suspension featuring continuous damping control and new electro-hydraulic braking assist.
XT4 Sport models feature a gloss black mesh grille inspired by Cadillac’s high-performance V-Series models, gloss black window moldings, and specific sport alloy wheel choices. Luxury and Premium Luxury models feature grilles with bright metallic accents, satin aluminum window moldings, and satin chrome-accented door handles.
All models feature advanced LED lighting technology front and rear, with front LED low and high beams, and an LED-illuminated light blade for the daytime running lamps. Cadillac’s vertical L-shaped lighting signature is stretched horizontally.
Standard LED taillights are housed in traditional red lenses on Luxury and Premium Luxury, while the Sport model receives tinted neutral-density (clear) lenses that complement the generally darker exterior color choices.
Eight exterior colors will be offered on the 2019 XT4 at launch: Atlantic Metallic, Autumn Metallic, Crystal White Tricoat, Twilight Blue Metallic, Shadow Metallic, Red Horizon Tintcoat, Stellar Black Metallic, and Radiant Silver Metallic.
The XT4 is expected to lead the segment in rear-seat roominess, with 39.5 inches (1,004 mm) of legroom. The XT4 also offers 48.9 cubic feet (1,385 liters) of maximum cargo volume with the rear seat folded.
“The XT4 was envisioned holistically to deliver a dynamic sporty exterior without compromising comfort and functionality for passengers,” says Jim Fleming, exterior design director of Cadillac, who helped create the vehicle’s architecture. “It’s a great balance that delivers style and comfort on long drives such as a weekend getaway to a favorite ski slope, while still offering excellent cargo room for that ski trip’s gear.”
Additional interior features and highlights include:
- The thick, three-spoke, leather-wrapped steering wheel is all new and was developed to enhance the sporty feel of the vehicle while maintaining driver comfort on long drives.
- Sport-inspired seating with prominent seat-bottom and seatback bolsters balances comfort with the kind of support typically found in sports sedans. A massage feature is available.
- Available white ambient lighting casts a sophisticated glow and highlights important features.
- Technology integration includes Cadillac’s first rotary controller for the Cadillac user experience and other vehicle features (see below for more information), along with streamlined vehicle controls for easier, more intuitive use.
At launch, the 2019 XT4 will be offered in seven interior environments, based on Luxury, Premium Luxury or Sport trims:
- XT4 Luxury — Light Platinum/Jet Black with Aluminum Metallized decor trim.
- XT4 Sport — Jet Black with Cinnamon Accents with Twenty-Two High-Gloss Carbon Fiber, Light Wheat/Jet Black with Red Accents and Morello Red High-Gloss Carbon Fiber, Sedona/Jet Black with Fineline Calico High-Gloss Wood.
- XT4 Premium Luxury — Jet Black with Diamond-Cut Aluminum, Light Platinum/Jet Black with Linear Galaxy High-Gloss Wood, Sedona/Jet Black with Fineline Calico High-Gloss Wood.