Detroit’s General Motors Co. has unveiled the 2022 GMC Hummer EV and announced that reservations are being accepted. Initial production is slated to launch in the fall of next year at GM’s Factory ZERO Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center.
“The GMC Hummer EV is revolutionary, defying what the industry thinks of as a pickup truck,” says Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “The Edition 1’s tailored off-road content will make Hummer EV’s unprecedented capability and zero-emissions a very special proposition for customers.”
The Hummer will be the first fully electric addition to GMC’s lineup. It will offer both off-road capabilities and on-road performance.
“This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” says Mark Reuss, president of GM. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, Hummer EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency, and performance.”
The new Hummer will be powered by GM’s Ultium batteries and Ultium Drive, GM’s proprietary electric vehicle drive units. A GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and 11,500 lb-ft of torque are generated by three separate motors within two Ultium drive units to give Hummer EVs four-wheel-drive.
“We had one goal for Hummer EV: Build the most capable factory truck ever,” says Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for GMC Hummer EV. “It’s an absolute off-road beast with a unique e4WD drive system that provides maneuverability unlike anything GM has ever offered before.”
Available features include:
- Four-wheel steer featuring CrabWalk – The rear wheels and front wheels steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement of the vehicle for greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive air suspension with available extract mode capability enables the suspension height to be raised approximately 6 inches for off-roading.
- 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires are offered standard. They can scale 18-inch verticals and drive through water that is more than 2 feet deep. The truck also has the capability to accommodate 37-inch tires.
- Underbody armor of sturdy steel plates are strategically located around the battery pack and more to provide protection in off-roading conditions.
- UltraVision includes new front and rear underbody cameras to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to help protect against damage and equipped with a wash function to clear debris. Up to 18 cameras are available on the vehicle.
- Off-road widgets display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens. Examples include torque output, differential locker engagement, tire pressure, pitch and roll angles, a drift gauge, friction circle, and torque vectoring.
The 800-volt DC public fast charging compatibility of up to 350 kilowatts mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes Hummer EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 100 miles of range in 10 minutes of charging.
The 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system offers power to three motors. GM has estimated the truck will have more than 350 miles of driving range on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
The Hummer will also offer the latest version of Super Cruise, an available driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving on more than 200,000 miles of enabled roads and a new automatic lane changing feature, where the system can determine when a lane change is optimal and initiate the maneuver while following signaling protocols.
The Hummer EV debuts exclusively in a fully equipped Edition 1 trim package, which includes:
- Drive mode control, which offers driver-selectable modes that tailor performance, including torque splits between the front and rear wheels, and four-wheel steering settings for different driving conditions. It includes Terrain Mode, which raises the Hummer EV’s ride height by nearly 2 inches.
- Adaptive ride control, which offers continuous damping that is tailored for both on- and off-road driving.
- Open-air driving, which is enabled by the structural rigidity of the Ultium batteries, with a standard infinity roof and removable transparent sky panels that can stow in the “frunk” storage compartment at the front of the vehicle.
- A 13.4-inch diagonal infotainment screen and 12.3-inch diagonal driver information center display.
- MultiPro Tailgate with six functional positions.
- Power rear drop glass window and power tonneau cover.
“The GMC Hummer EV reimagines an instantly-recognizable silhouette for a modern, all-electric future,” says Phil Zak, design executive director. “Its design visually communicates extreme capability, which is reinforced with rugged architectural details offered with a premium, well-executed and appointed interior.”
The truck will have a starting manufacturer suggested retail price of $112,595.
GM’s Factory ZERO Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center will be repurposed with a $2.2-billion investment devoted to electric vehicle production.
More information and reservation details are available here.