Developer of B. Siegel Livernois Project in Detroit Targets Fourth-quarter Completion Date

The redevelopment of the B. Siegel department store at 19031 Livernois Ave. on Detroit’s west side is nearing completion and should be finished by the end of the year, according to JLL, the Chicago-based commercial real estate developer in charge of the project.
1456
The redevelopment of the former B. Siegel department store on Livernois Avenue is expected to be completed before the end of the year. // Rendering courtesy of JLL

The redevelopment of the B. Siegel department store at 19031 Livernois Ave. on Detroit’s west side is nearing completion and should be finished by the end of the year, according to JLL, the Chicago-based commercial real estate developer in charge of the project.

When complete, the redevelopment will add more than 29,000 square feet of mixed-use space to the Detroit neighborhood, including retail, dining, and office space.

Detroit Vs. Everybody, Brix Wine Bar, and Lacquered already are signed as tenants while the anchor corner of the development is being marketed to established restaurant operators. The restaurant space features a rooftop patio with views of the Livernois Streetscape, which also is expected to be finished before the end of the year.

The streetscape includes underground parking, increased ease of access to the local businesses, and pedestrian-friendly walkways.

“This is a catalytic development for the neighborhoods and the Avenue of Fashion,” says Matt Hessler, managing partner of Bagley Forest, the local developer managing the project. “It’s been quite an undertaking, but after much planning and hard work and collaboration with all stakeholders, we’re looking forward to celebrating the development’s progress with our local business owners this fall.”

The B. Siegel development is in the heart of Detroit’s $30 million Strategic Neighborhood Fund and is within walking distance of some of Detroit’s most well-known neighborhoods, such as Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, and Bagley. It is also in close proximity to University of Detroit Mercy.

B. Siegel Department stores had seven locations at its peak, but the business closed in 1981 due in part to a national economic recession and increased competition from suburban retailers. The company was founded by German immigrant Benjamin Siegel in 1881, after buying out the former Heyn’s Bazaar on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit and changing the name.

Facebook Comments