Ann Arbor-based BrandXR, a no-code augmented reality platform, has announced a partnership with Detroit’s Electrifly Co., an immersive art company, to produce Detroit’s inaugural augmented reality art festival, which will run from June 1 through Sept. 4.
The Electrifly Detroit Augmented Reality Mural Festival will be free and feature five award-winning art muralists in six Detroit neighborhoods. Visitors can visit the murals at their leisure and use the free Electrifly Augmented Reality Art app to scan the murals and view them in 3-D on their phones.
Visitors also will be able to interact with characters and stories from world-renowned artists including Hubert Massey, former assistant of Diego Rivera, a Mexican artist who painted the Detroit Industry Murals at the Detroit Institute of Arts; Chris Dyer, Ghostbeard and Patch Whisky, Phybr, and Armageddon Beachparty.
“The augmented reality technology helps tell more detailed, vivid stories about what’s going on in the murals,” Massey says. “You can really see the artist’s way of thinking.”
Moody Mattan, festival creator and founder of BrandXR, says the show is family friendly.
“Electrifly Detroit redefines the way we experience art,” says Malik Mattan, co-founder of Electrifly Co. “Combining public art with new immersive technologies, we are bringing one of the oldest forms of storytelling to life in an exciting, interactive, and immersive way that everyone has free access to.”
The murals and locations are as follows:
- “Rising Strong” by Hubert Massy; Boston-Edison District, Karasi Education Center, 1741 Atkinson Ave., Detroit.
- “Best Buds” by Ghostbeard and Patch Whisky; Eastern Market District, 1511 Winder St., Detroit.
- “The Reef Diver” by Chris Dyer, 8 Mile District, The REEF Detroit, 6640 E. 8 Mile Road, Detroit.
- “Marvelous Art Car” by Chris Dyer, New Center, Tangent Gallery, 715 E. Milwaukee Ave., Detroit.
- “Octophant” by Phybr, Greektown District, The Elephant Room, 439 E. Congress St., Detroit.
- “Gidget Cat” by Armageddon Beachparty, Woodbridge District, Armageddon Beachparty Lounge, 1517 Putnam St., Detroit.
For more information, including how to get the app, click here.
BrandXR offers augmented, virtual, and mixed reality services.
Electrifly partners with artists and brands to bring products and ideas to life through immersive technologies and interactive products.