Following two years of construction to renovate the interior and exterior of the facility, the project to expand the capacity and capabilities of the Karmanos Cancer Institute at McLaren Macomb’s Ted B. Wahby Cancer Center in Mount Clemens has been completed.
Breaking ground in October of 2014, the renovation of the center, located at 1080 Harrington St., has added 19,000 square feet to its existing 28,500 square feet.
Renovations included the addition of a second linear accelerator radiation treatment machine with room for a third, increasing the number of infusion treatment chairs from 19 to 28, and installing a covered walkaway that connects the cancer center to the main hospital.
“This newly expanded facility with its state-of-the-art radiation therapy and breast imaging technology, comfortable infusion area, access to new therapies from Karmanos’ extensive clinical trials program and Karmanos’ genetic testing program, complements the great work already taking place here with this dedicated team of cancer experts,” says Gerold Bepler, president and CEO of the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. “As a result, patients in Macomb County now have even more cancer-fighting tools available to them closer to home.”
With the added space, he say the cancer center’s clinical staff has been able to introduce new programs and expand existing ones, including on-site genetic counseling and testing, expanded clinical trials and the introduction of Transition to Wellness, a program that helps cancer patients transition to their post-treatment lifestyle.
More than 400 physicians and nearly 2,000 employees work at McLaren Macomb, which is a 288-bad acute care hospital. Part of Flint-based McLaren Health Care, McLaren Macomb provides a full range of services, including cancer and cardiovascular care. The McLaren Health Care system, which includes 12 hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, imaging centers, and more, operates Michigan’s largest network of cancer centers and providers, anchored by Karmanos Cancer Institute, one of only two National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the state.