Chevrolet today announced the 2021 Silverado 1500 will be equipped with new mechanical and technological updates, including the addition of an available Multi-Flex Tailgate, added trailering capacity, and enhanced technology.
The Multi-Flex Tailgate offers six unique functions that allow for easier access to the bed cargo, enhanced loading solutions, and a standing workstation. With a weight capacity of 375 pounds (170 kg), different configurations for the Multi-Flex Tailgate activate using a key fob or two tailgate-mounted buttons, one for the full gate and another for the second-tier loading and storage options.
Combined with the Silverado Durabed – featuring LED lighting, a 120-volt outlet, and 12 fixed tie-downs – Multi-Flex makes the 2021 model the most functional and capable Silverado ever. The Multi-Flex Tailgate will be available in early 2021 on all new Silverado 1500 models.
The 2021 Silverado also will feature increased conventional trailering capability for two of its most efficient engines, compared to the 2020 model year.
- The 2.7L Turbo adds thousands of pounds of trailering capacity to every configuration. The popular Crew Cab Short Box model increases its rating by 2,500 pounds to a max capacity of 9,300 pounds in two-wheel drive. A newly available Regular Cab Long Box model provides the maximum 2.7L tow rating of 9,600 pounds and ups Silverado’s overall max payload to 2,280 pounds in 2WD.
- The 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel adds an additional 1,900 pounds of trailering capacity to nearly every configuration and provides the maximum capacity of 9,500 pounds to 2WD models. The 3.0L Duramax engine also receives a $1,500 MSRP price reduction for 2021 models, so customers benefit from both increased towing capacity and industry-leading EPA-estimated fuel economy of 33 mpg highway in 2WD.
Chevrolet is confident the engines meet or exceed most trailering needs, as 96 percent of light-duty pickup owners tow less than 10,000 pounds, according to data from MaritzCX an InMoment Company.
Additional testing and validation revealed the 2.7L Turbo possesses better-than-expected cooling performance, while the 3.0L Duramax improvements are attributed to the better-than-expected rear axle durability. Chevrolet engineers recertified both engines to the SAE J2807 standard with impressive results. A full list of trailering specifications can be found here.
The latest generation Silverado offers up to 15 unique camera views to help make trailering simpler. Now, 2021 models include:
- Trailer Length Indicator (new for 2021): When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert (new for 2021): Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement (new for 2021): Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator shows the relationship between the truck and trailer.
- Rear Side View enhancement: Provides a split view, automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
The 2021 Silverado 1500 adds more content at all price points, including:
- Custom and Custom Trail Boss are now standard with Custom Convenience Package and Infotainment Package, which include EZ Lift power lock and release tailgate, bed LED cargo area lighting, remote start, available SiriusXM radio, available OnStar5 and more.
- Work Truck, Custom and Custom Trail Boss now offer 40/20/40 split-bench front seat and a new Safety Confidence Package (late availability), which includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Front Pedestrian Braking6, steering wheel audio controls and 4.2-inch driver information center.
- Custom Trail Boss and LT Trail Boss are now available with 20-inch black wheels with Goodyear Territory MT Tires (late availability).
- LT and RST now come standard with the All Star Edition content, which includes the Convenience Package, Trailering Package and an auto-locking rear differential.
- LTZ now comes standard with the LTZ Convenience Package, Safety Package and 20-inch polished wheels.
- Wireless phone projection through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability is standard on LTZ and High Country and available on LT, LT Trail Boss and RST.
- A first for Chevrolet, Adaptive Ride Control is now available on High Country models with 22-inch wheels to provide enhanced ride comfort.
- New available packages – All Star Edition Plus, Texas Edition Plus and LTZ Premium Texas Edition – add additional convenience and safety content onto already popular models.
- Three new exterior colors are available:
- Mosaic Black Metallic (late availability and at extra charge)
- Oxford Brown Metallic (available at extra charge)
- Cherry Red Tintcoat (available at extra charge)
The 2021 Silverado 1500 has started production and arrives at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020.