At a press reception at the Garden Theatre in Detroit on Sunday evening, Cadillac introduced the 2020 XT6. The new three-row crossover centers on a luxurious, adaptable, and connected cabin, along with responsive handling and a suite of standard and available safety technologies.
In addition, Cadillac revealed the first model derived from GM’s future EV platform. The platform will allow the company to respond quickly to customer preferences with a relatively short design and development lead-time.
The Cadillac portfolio will eventually benefit from a variety of body styles that can be spun off the same platform architecture. The most advanced components are the drive units and battery cells, both of which are being designed for maximum usability throughout GM vehicle lineups in different countries.
The EVs can be configured in front-, rear-, or all-wheel drive, and the output of their battery systems will be adjustable based on vehicle and customer needs.
Overall, Cadillac is on pace to introduce a new model every six months over the next three years. Meanwhile, a video the automaker presented Sunday evening showed a gentleman on a street activating a phone app that summoned a connected Cadillac SUV. Inside, the back of the front seats allowed for a multi-screen presentation for rear passengers.
The automaker also said it will be updating its Super Cruise self-driving system in the coming months.
“The first-ever Cadillac XT6 delivers a compelling blend of spaciousness, safety, and convenience features,” said Steve Carlisle, president of Cadillac. “It joins the all-new XT4, which has soared to the top spot in its segment, our global best-selling XT5, and the … Escalade.”
Vehicle highlights include:
- XT6 offers a comprehensive suite of standard and available driver assistance and safety technologies, along with generous cargo capacity.
- The latest Cadillac user experience, with intuitive controls including a rotary controller with new jog functionality.
- Premium luxury and sport models offer customers more customized looks with unique exterior and interior distinction.
- Nimble, responsive driving experience, powered by a 3.6L V-6 engine and nine-speed automatic transmission, offering up to four selectable driving modes.
“The new Cadillac XT6 models provide two expressions of the signature Cadillac experience, allowing more personalized appearance and driving character,” said John Plonka, chief engineer of Cadillac. “Premium Luxury models provide an elevated level of refinement, while Sport models offer a performance-oriented feel.”
Distinctive trim and interior colors delineate the Premium Luxury and Sport models. Premium Luxury models are trimmed with exotic wood decor, while the Sport features performance-inspired carbon fiber trim.
Available comfort features help ensure all passengers have a luxurious experience in every seating row, including Cadillac’s first Bose Performance Series sound system with 14 custom-tuned speakers.
Additional available features include semi-aniline premium leather-appointed seating; Cadillac’s in-vehicle air ionizer; automatic heated/ventilated front seats and heated second-row rear outboard seats, and a standard automatic heated steering wheel.
The XT6 also offers:
- Adaptive Cruise Control – Advanced
- Night Vision
- NFC phone pairing and wireless charging for compatible phones
- HD Surround Vision Camera
- Illuminated Cadillac Crest hands-free liftgate
- Keyless Open and Adaptive Remote Start
A standard power-folding third-row seat and remote fold-down feature for the second-row seat enhance versatility, while a tip/pitch-and-slide feature on the second-row seat allows easy access to the third row.
XT6 offers a suite of driver assistance and safety technologies that can help drivers be more aware of their environment. They include sophisticated radar-, camera-, and other sensor-based technologies.
Further, the vehicle structure is designed to help keep occupants safe, with premium body materials and features such as boxed, splayed front rails and a state-of-the-art restraint system, including seven standard airbags.
The latest Cadillac user experience provides more ways to interface with the system, including one-touch phone pairing via Near Field Communication, and a new rotary controller with intuitive jog functionality. And when it comes to plugging in, all models come with six USB ports (two for each row of seats).
Additional available driver support and connectivity technologies include:
- Personalization — user profiles stored in the Cloud6 allow customers to access their custom profile in other properly equipped GM vehicles
- Updated navigation functionality with natural address entry
- Capable of supporting SiriusXM 360L
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot (includes 3GB or three months of data, whichever comes first)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for compatible smartphones
- Next-generation, 15-watt wireless charging
- Teen Driver
The 2020 XT6 will be manufactured in Spring Hill, Tenn., and available for ordering this spring. Pricing and additional information will be announced closer to the start of production.