SBIR Road Tour to Connect Startups With Federal Agencies
The SBIR agencies provide $2.5 billion in annual funding for advanced technology startups.
The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) will be hosting several national agencies to participate in the SBIR Road Tour and Summit on July 19 at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti.
The event is part of a national outreach effort to build awareness of the SBIR and STTR programs, which provide $2.5 billion in non-dilutive funding to small advanced technology firms annually to facilitate new technological discoveries and the commercialization of innovations.
“The SBIR/STTR programs are very competitive, but with over $1 million per project of non-dilutive funding available, it is well worth the time and effort,” says Kris Bergman, co-managing partner of BBC Entrepreneurial Training and Consulting. “In meetings with program managers, entrepreneurs will be able to gauge interest in their technologies, gain tips on changes to make, and, in some cases, influence future solicitation topics of some of the agencies.”
Agencies participating in the summit include:
- Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Department of Defense – Navy
- Department of Defense – Air Force (USAF)
- Department of Defense – Missile Defense Agency (MDA)
- Department of Defense – Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
- Department of Energy (DOE)
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Department of Commerce – National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Department of Transportation (tentative)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
The summit will include panel discussions, training sessions, and the opportunity to meet with Michigan entrepreneurial support providers. The event will be held from 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. at the Eastern Michigan University Student Center located at 900 Oakland St. in Ypsilanti. The event costs $40 or $20 for attendees with a valid student ID.
Consultants will also be available on July 18 to meet privately with entrepreneurs to go over agency pitches and prepare for future meetings. Appointments can be made online here.